Error message

User warning: The following module is missing from the file system: file_entity. For information about how to fix this, see the documentation page. in _drupal_trigger_error_with_delayed_logging() (line 1128 of /home2/vqpower/public_html/v3/includes/bootstrap.inc).

Cattman (Progress) RSB - 2000 Nissan Maxima

Category: 

This installation was performed on a 2003 Maxima SE on 11/25/02. Disclaimer: You are responsible for everything you do, so use this guide at your own risk. Don?t even think of blaming me!

Let me first warn that I used two different digital cameras. One is an Intel without flash, and the other is my Olympus D-460 Zoom. Obviously, the Olympus takes much better pictures, but the Intel snaps them out quickly. Needless to say, I was not very pleased with the overall pics after I found so many poor ones. Too bad I'm not going to tear it all down to show you all over again.

This rear sway bar, or RSB, is designed and manufactured by Progress, the same people who design and manufacture lowering springs for our cars, with the partnership of Cattman Performance to distribute them. Here are some pics of the package and contents:

This is everything you get in the package:

 

Properly position tire blocks in front of and behind the front tires. Safety always comes first! If you are using the stock wheels and tires, you may need to remove them. Loosen (not remove) the lug nuts from the rear tires using a 21mm deep socket. Lift the rear of the car (I used a floor jack on the center of the rear axle) until the tires leave the ground. Remove the lug nuts and wheels. Properly position jack stands as pictured here:

Apply the supplied grease to the inside (inner bore) of the bushing. The bushings come out of their metal straps, and have a split in them. Use this split to wrap the bushing around the bar instead of sliding the bushing across the bar, losing all your grease. Hang the supplied U-bolts right beside the reinforcement sleeve on each side upper rear axle.

Finger-tighten the U-bolts to the back end of the bar. You will notice that on both sides of the sway arms there are brake and hose lines running along the sides. The saddle piece will only fit after you un-bolt this part from the sway arm. Note: You may need to slightly bend the hose clamp after you have installed the saddle piece for it to all fit.

Bolt the sway arm assemblies, and replace the hose clamp retaining bolt. Tighten both of the side assemblies down with 13mm deep and 13mm shallow sockets. Repeat the process on both sides, as they are identical.

After you have tightened the side assemblies, finish the install by tightening the rear assemblies.


*Note that you will forever after lose your ability to lift from the rear axle, as the RSB is in the way. I used the under-body points to re-lift the car from the jack stands. Here it is all finished:

Replace the tires and lug nuts. Drive for at least one day, and then re-torque the lug nuts and all of the RSB linkage. Don't skip this step, because everything DID loosen on me after a day. Also, wipe down all exposed grease from the bushings, or it quickly collects dirt.

In review, the parts supplied were enough to complete the install. There was some minor paint damage to the bar, but since nobody can see it, I'm not too concerned. The instructions consisted of a single two-sided sheet of paper. On one side is a very cheap diagram, and on the other is the parts list, and VERY LITTLE instruction. Novices will really benefit from my review here, so feel free to print it out.

Fitment appears acceptable. I was not totally thrilled with the bulky saddle pieces, since they could be slightly smaller and not come so close to the OEM tires sidewall. The saddles also barely fit between the two hose clamp harnesses. They are strong and bullet-proof though.

The car drives noticeably better now. It added 20 lbs to the total weight of the car, but it also made it possible to safely negotiate turns at a higher speed. I can't say there was a night and day difference, but there was a noticeable one. I use this RSB in conjunction with a FSTB, and together they make a real difference.

Credit: