Kinetix intake manifold on 04 Maxima
The procedure for removing the OEM intake and replacing it with the Kinetix was fairly straightforward. With basic hand tools, I did the job at a casual pace in under 2 hours.
allen wrench (supplied with manifold)
10mm, 12mm, and 14mm wrenches and sockets
flat blade screw driver
1. Disconnect battery and remove engine cover with allen wrench
3. Remove air intake
In this picture, the disconnected hose is a vacuum hose. But the hose below, that is still connected, with the black fitting is a COOLANT hose. Be careful when remove this hose as coolant leaks out. You can also see the EGR hose which has black braided material, which is right below the two vacuum hoses near the left center of the picture.
5. The bolts at the back of the manifold are now accessible . .. barely. They are hard to get to, and you have to have a good touch. I believe they are 12mm, and there are two of them.
6. Once all hoses and front brackets are removed, and the rear middle bracket is disconnected, the EGR tubing must come off. Its very stiff and hard to take off.
7. Now is the time to undo the manifold nuts and bolts. Do it in a cross pattern and start it a 1/4 turn at a time until they are loose so you don't warp anything. There is one more bracket to remove, but its easier to remove it when the manifold is raised a bit.
8. The bracket on the passenger rear side of the manifold is very hard to remove because of the lack of space and the angle. Its a 10mm bolt head. Here is a pic of the green connectors that attach to it:
The manifold should come clear from the car.
1. Unscrew the plug from passenger side of manifold. Screw in the fitting from the EGR hose; only the fitting, NOT the hose yet. Make sure its positioned in line where the hose will eventually connect.
2. Lay the hose across, behind the lower manifold. Connect the braided EGR hose to the OEM stiff pipe. I reused the gasket but you should get a new one.
3. Install manifold. Tighten in cross pattern so nothing warps.
4. Connect the EGR braided hose to the fitting in the manifold.
6. Connect hoses, the throttle body and air intake. This should be fairly obvious if you're careful when you disconnected things.